I’m kind of a sucker for the “United States of…” map thing, so I eventually had to make one. This is a collage of the some of the most iconic American companies, organized by home state. Click here for the huge version.
This is an arbitrary map. Many companies don’t make the cut simply because there wasn’t room. Other companies are not as well known, but they’re the only thing going on in a big state. This project took longer than I expected, but I learned a lot. I’ve basically become the Rain Man of corporate headquarters. Some things I’ve learned:
- Our most recognized companies aren’t as concentrated in New York, California and Chicago as I expected. Still pretty concentrated, though.
- One of our largest companies is in our smallest state. It’s barely visible on the map.
- Fruit of the Loom is a company, not just an underwear label.
- Fuller Brush is headquartered in tiny Great Bend, Kansas. Right by the airport.
- Great Bend, Kansas has an airport. Right by the dragstrip.